Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I live in Florida should I water my plants for a long or short period of time


I live in Florida should I water my plants for a long or short period of time?
It is a sandy climate. I'm from Kansas. I used to water plants on a trickle for 30 minutes then switch to another plant. Do I do the same even though I'm in a sandy climate?
Garden & Landscape - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Give it a try. We use to live in the Ft. Lauderdale area and I would water about 30 minutes for each area of the yard a couple of times per week. We had a sprinkler system that turned itself on and off. You might want to invest in a system. It will water while you are away from home.
2 :
How much you water will depend on the amount of rainfall you have had and the type of plants and their specific needs. Florida has so many tropicals that use lots of water. If you can't afford a sprinkler system just use soaker hoses with a timer attached to the outside hydrant/faucet. Soakers let water trickle right out of the pourous hoses. Remember NOT to turn the water on too fast/high. Conservation at it best. Less waste and recycled materials. Recovered-content garden and soaker hoses help create new uses for old tires and recycled plastics. EPA's designation specifically covers garden and soaker hoses containing recovered plastic or rubber. http://www.epa.gov/cpg/products/garden.htm






Read more discussions :