Friday, September 14, 2012

I live in Florida and have some bromeliads outside


I live in Florida and have some bromeliads outside.?
I live in Florida and have some bromeliads outside. I don't know what to do with the bloom after it has bloomed. Do you cut it off? Some blooms are coming out of the middle of the plant and some hang down from a long stem. Any advice will be helpful.
Garden & Landscape - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You can cut the bloom off after it turns brown. They only bloom once, so keep it as long as you can- they are beautiful. I have quite a few ( I'm in Florida also ) with different color leaves and blooms. I have many in my yard and they do not die after blooming like that web page states- unless we just don't notice it because they do grow 'pups' off to the side and can fill in a space very quickly.
2 :
The blooms can last a long time depending on the plant. I not sure if they cut off, but, assume when they die, it not hurt. Then the "clones" can be planted. Below is a cut-n-paste and the link; The blooms are extremely attractive with an exceptional range of colors. Because of the waxy nature of the bloom (they actually feel like leaves), the color of the Bromeliad bloom can endure up to 8 months. After a Bromeliad has bloomed, it will slowly die over a period of up to one year, but not before it reproduces up to 12 clones. http://www.rogersgardens.com/Bromeliad.asp
3 :
You can find a local landscaper at http://www.1800topsoil.com and good luck!







Read more discussions :