Thursday, January 1, 2009

I have sand in my front yard (live in Florida) and the yard is about 70% sand


I have sand in my front yard (live in Florida) and the yard is about 70% sand,?
What do I need to do to have in order to have actual grass? What would be the process if I wanted to do it myself and also prices would be great !!! Thanks!!!
Garden & Landscape - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Let's face it, you don't have topsoil. The hot climate quickly consumes organic matter unlike what the folks up north have. So instead you will be looking for compost. What is sold in your area will vary greatly. Some will be nothing more than manure added to more sand. But true compost is made by the decomposition of organic matter. The product is idea of sandy soils like yours since it not only holds water, it also provides cation exchange sites for mineral/nutrient transfer sand just can't do. In other words, add fertilizer and without the CE sites, the fertilizer just washes away. Also your soils are high in pH. You'll need to add soil sulfur to help lower the akalinity. http://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/lawn_and_garden/getting_started/ You should have a soil test done thru Florida State/Cooperative Extension Service, but I suspect if you just called your extension office, they could tell you exactly how much compost and soil sulfur you need. http://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/map/ The wet site above with "lawn_and_garden" will give you more detailed info on working in your sand box